What kind of low carb alocholic drinks can you drink if you’re living a low carb or keto lifestyle? Typically you want to steer clear of wine, beer, and alcoholic mixers and cocktails if you want to remain close to your low carb diet. For most that isn’t a problem, however, what about fun summertime drinks like a mojito? Believe it or not you can still enjoy an adult beverage and live your best low carb life! Yes, yes you can with this perfect, easy to make low carb mojito recipe.
Refreshing Low Carb Mojito
The thing that makes a mojito have its specific taste is the combination of limes with the fresh mint. Yes, you need a little sweetness to curb the sour taste of the limes but that can be done with a natural sweetener like stevia. (Sidenote: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.) From a low carb standpoint, try to stick with the clear kinds of alcohol and what you’ll need for a mojito is vodka.
What kind of sweeteners are natural and low carb?
I prefer to use Stevia when I’m going to substitute sugar. I don’t like products that contain sucralose (Splenda) so I avoid those when I can. It’s all about the 80/20 rule people. Other than Stevia, here are some of my favorite all natural low carb sweeteners:
Erythritol – Found in fruits, vegetables, and fermented foods, it has a low glucose index of 0 to 0.2. You can purchase it at your local health food stores or on Amazon – NOW Foods Erythritol Natural Sweetener
- Monk Fruit – This fruit is found in Thailand and China and is 300 times sweeter than sugar, so a little goes a LONG ways. Some say that it’s as sweet as Stevia but without the aftertaste that many don’t like that Stevia has. Make sure to read ingredients because some Monk Fruit products contain dextrose and maltodextrin or artificial sweeteners. A product like Swanson Purelo Lo Han Sweetener (Monk Fruit) is good to use.
- Stevia – Like I said, this is my preferred sweetener. SweetLeaf Natural Stevia Sweetener
Low Carb Mojito Recipe
- Using a muddler or other utensil, smash fresh mint leaves with lime and Stevia.
- Fill an 8-ounce glass with ice
- Add vodka
- Finish off with club soda
- Garnish with a lime slice and mint.
That’s it! It’s so easy it’s almost unbelievable, so not only can you save money by making your own drink but you can control the ingredients that go into it which is key when you’re trying to avoid carbs.
Looking for some more fun adult beverages? Check out this Chocolate Martini.
Bert Anderson is a blogger and social media manager mom of three living outside of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. She’s the author behind the blog First Time Mom, where she honestly chronicles the peaks and valleys of parenting. Even though she has more than one child, Bert maintains that whether you have one child or 19, there’s a first time for everything. She’s a lover of coffee, conversations, pop culture, healthy living and fitness.